ELEVATING POETRY IN SACRAMENTO
Thank you to our poets for sharing their work
at our Poetry & Pizza event on August 12!
We had a couple recitations and freestyles, as well!
So You Want to Write a Poem …? Poetry Workshop
Saturday, September 9, 2017, 12 p.m. – 1 p.m.
Robbie Waters Library
Looking to bring your old poems back to life? In the midst of different journeys composing different poems? Embarking on a mission to write new poems?
Wherever you are in such endeavors, take this opportunity to discuss your poems in a workshop setting with other poets!
What’s a poetry workshop?
In short, a poetry workshop is a discussion where poets offer constructive dialogue about your poem. Of course, you are the final authority on how you want your poem to unfold. Workshops just give you the opportunity to hear fresh perspectives on your poem from fellow poets.
What do I do? What should I expect at the workshop?
• Bring 1-3 poems you would like to discuss during the workshop (details to be provided later on number of copies to bring)
During the workshop:
• You’ll read your poem out loud
• Another participant will read your poem out loud
• Group participants will take several minutes to think about your poem and write feedback on your poem (Feedback may include suggestions, areas of strength, questions, ideas, what the reader appreciates about the poem, what works in the poem, what doesn’t work in the poem, etc.)
• Group participants will share feedback on your poem in a discussion format
• Optionally, you can share your own words about your poem (after group shares its feedback)
• Group participants will return their copies of your poem to you with their written feedback
You should come prepared to:
• Read your poem out loud
• Read someone else’s poem out loud
• Write feedback on poems from other group participants
• Verbally share feedback on poems by other group participants